Thursday, October 26, 2006

Why would a Texan live in Antarctica?

Guess who my patient was today in the CCU? A Texan that works for NASA and lives at McMurdo station in Antarctica! He developed a heart attack and the medical team flew him 6 hours up to Christchurch in a C17 to our unit. Crazy, I come all this way and get to talk Southernese to a cowboy from Texas. I am not sure how much comfort he took in me as his nurse because he was in a lot of pain and was very scared of what all was happening to him. He actually will not be allowed to return to Antarctica because you have to be in optimal health and his right coronary artery was completely occluded and he will probably require surgery. After his angiogram, he was beginning to warm up to me a little. It was nice to hear someone's weight in lbs. and their height in inches instead of the stupid metric system. It was interesting to hear him describe life on the ice...when he left there it was -25 degrees Farhenheit and it is daylight 24 hours a day since it is summer in the southern hemisphere. He is only 42 years old but has smoked his entire life; amazing how many patients we get that smoke and develop heart attacks. I spoke with his mother and sister from Texas and they were country! They were so glad to know that an American was taking care of him!

Anyway, I have just worked 8 days in a row with one day off in between. So Blaine and I are planning on going out of town this weekend into the wilderness to do some camping/hiking! More updates soon!

4 comments:

Wendy Frady said...

WOW-eight days in a row! I can hardly relate to that seeing as that I had ONE day of a 12-hour clinical yesterday and I was exhausted getting home. Hope you have an awesome weekend hiking-wish we were there with you guys!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see you guys!
Anna and Emma are the loves of my life right now-both have different and the sweetest personalities.
The Neills, Harrises, Hendersons, and we are leaving next Wed afternoon for the Buffalo River-will take pics for you to enjoy vicariously. We will be horseback riding Thursday afternoon, camoeing, hiking,etc the rest of the time-pray for your mom-I will be a good sport IF the cabins are nice!

Blaine and Kate said...

I hope y'all have a great trip...we may try to catch you on Monday. Did Ken and Peggy have fun on their trip?

Blaine and Kate said...

wendy! i miss you so much! i am working 10 hour days right now...and i really like it. working 8 hrs you have to work 5 days a week, so I only work 4 days!