Wednesday, August 16, 2006


This is a picture of Blaine and me in front of the cathedral in the city square where we ate lunch with our friend Johnny who lives in Christchurch (we met him on our trip to Germany). You will probably be hearing a lot more about Johnny, seeing that he is the only friend we have here.

All the things we learned on our first day in NZ:
Crayfish does not equal crawfish (a.k.a. “mud bugs”), in NZ it is lobster.
They don’t call running shoes tennis shoes or sneakers but in NZ they are trainers.
Since they drive on the left side of the road, they WALK on the left side of the road (I think a lot of people were cussing us today).
Everyone, YES everyone in the world knows how to spell Mississippi; this is the first thing they tell you when you say that is where you are from (and the spelling is about all they know about Mississippi).
Everyone’s hair looks better in low humidity.

7 comments:

Paige DeAngelo said...

I'm soooo glad y'all made it safely, and that your hair looks good. Can't to see more pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

We could certainly use some of that cool stuff. Every A/C unit in the school district is straining and many are failing. Life in the Maintenance Department is really difficult these days.

How is apartment hunting going?

Anonymous said...

Weather is great down here...of course we miss the sweltering heat. It is really low humidity too down here, which is surprising, since we are on the coast. We found an apartment today...will update later.

Anonymous said...

HEY KATE!! WE ALREADY MISS YOU HERE AT SELECT!! YOU ALWAYS BRIGHTEN EVERYTHING UP!! TALKED TO BRAD TODAY ABOUT WRITING YOU A LITTLE NOTE ON HERE AND HE SAID I SHOULDN'T BECAUSE YOU ARE THE ONE THAT LEFT US! :) WE WILL KEEP IN TOUCH AND BE PRAYING FOR YOU AND BLAINE DAILY! PS...I GOT YOUR MOM FOR MY CLINICAL INSTRUCTOR--I WAS PRETTY EXCITED ABOUT THAT!!:)(CARRIE)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kate...i forgot to give you my email before you left-- it's MissHinds2003@aol.com please email me and keep us posted. It looks beautiful there--I'm very jealous. Be glad you aren't still at Select--census stands at 28!! LOVE YA!!

Anonymous said...

Blanket turban? Blaine, we need a photo, please. I just love the immediate gratification of seeing pictures and getting on-the-scene reporting. Menu? Pork chops on the grill, baked beans, spinach salad, then strawberry shortcake for dessert.

Anonymous said...

Hey Blaine, I know you two must be having a blast. The mountains down there are gorgeous, and I'm sure that it will take a long time before you get tired of the scenery. Sorry you couldn't make it out for the fishing trip. There should be plenty of fishing to do down there. Alright, I need to get back to work bro. Take care and I'll be praying for you two.