Friday, August 25, 2006



This is a picture of the new edition to my hospital, the Woman's Center; so, if I decide to have a baby here, this is where I will be delivering (ha ha). Well, it is Saturday morning and I have officially finished my first week of work. Blaine is steady on the job hunt and our landlord, Katey has called an enginnering contact that she thinks might be able to help.

I really think I am going to like my job in the Coronary Care Unit. We get lots of patients that have had heart attacks, congestive heart failure, intra-aortic balloon pumps and pre and post heart surgeries such as angioplasty and stenting. We have a very diverse group of nurses from South Africa, France, Germany, and England...so I am not the odd one out.

We planned on going snow skiing today but they are having a blizzard in the mountains and we wouldn't be able to drive up there. If the weather clears, we plan on going tomorrow. Last night we went over to one of the church member's house and played Risk...I am not very fond of this game and it dragged on for 3 hours. But we had fun eating and visiting...most of the people are from Australia and so they taught us about cultural differences there. We have another friend couple from Nashville, Tyler and Susan. He works at K-Mart and she works as a pre-school teacher; we will pretty much be neighbors when we move into our flat. They bought a 1984 white van they call "Betty" for around $1500 and it has a bed in the back. They are fun because they are Southerners and we relate to them well. The sad news is that they are leaving in October to travel for 2 months before moving back to the States but we will have fun with them until then!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been out of town for several days, then returned to house guests so am just now catching up on the news. Everything looks great and I am so glad that things are so positive. GOOD NEWS! Hut and Nan had their baby girl--Kathryn--on August 21 at 10:29 am--6 1/2 pounds with lots of black hair.

Anonymous said...

Kate,
Make sure your post stent patients get started on their coumadin. Also, watch their access incision point, for as you well know, this is an artery.

Remember, any patients in HF with a dialated cardiomyopathy (ischemic or non-ischemic) with an EF of less than or equal to 35% should get an ICD per new indications via SCD-HeFT trial.

Just thought I would help you in your transition to the glorious cardiovascular world. If you need any help with ACE-inhibitors, Beta blockers, diuretics, etc... let me know. :)

love you guys!!

Anonymous said...

now Kim, i think you should be alerted to the fact that someone has hacked into your computer and is posing you as a medical expert. sounds a little like your husband.

Anonymous said...

Kate,

I can't believe that you would think my husband would be a hacker. Although he is very fond of technology, I am completely responsible for the cardiac tips. I'll admit that he did help me spell a few choice words. :)