Monday, September 04, 2006

Week Review
New Zealand internet is very different than in the U.S. in that you have a limit of downloads/uploads per month according to your "plan". We have been using the lady's internet where we are staying and have used over 80% of her allowance so there will be no pictures today. I wanted to recap on the highlights of the last week and weekend. Last week I started my normal schedule at work of four 10 hour shifts and I really like not working 12 hour days. On Tuesday night we went to the Fox and Ferret, a restaurant/pub with Jonny and his roommate Craig (we refer to him as "Craiger") to play Quiz bowl...this is very popular in NZ. A big screen TV poses a series of questions under categories such as sports, geography, entertainment and your team of 4 competes to answer the most right. We named our team the "Biscuits and Crawdads" in honor of our Southern heritage. Unfortunately, we came in near the middle but it was a lot of fun! On Thursday night we went to a car auction just to look around and get an idea of what we might buy in the near future. One car went for $100! It is difficult to know what you are getting here because all the cars are named differently than in the US...have you ever heard of a Nissan California? Also, they list the cars by how many kilometers they have been driven and by what kind of gas mileage they get in kilometers per liter. So confusing! We did not bid on a car but it was an interesting experience. Friday night we introduced our group of church friends to a game of Phase 10 and it was a hit! We met the other Nashville couple that lives here and they actually know Leslie Townsend (our friend in Jackson who is in law school and is from Nashville)! Such a small world. Saturday we ate lunch downtown with Jonny and his sister that was in town and threw the frisbee; went to eat Indian food for dinner and it was my first time...very good. Sunday Blaine and I jogged/walked the 7 kilometer loop around Hagley Park. The daffodils are blooming and the jogging trail winds along the Avon River past the golf course and Botanical Gardens...so gorgeous! Had a picnic in the Gardens after church and then went to pick up my bicycle that I am borrowing from one of the Australians while we are here. We move into our apartment tomorrow! So we will have our own internet, phone number, address and space! I will post pictures of it at the end of the week!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a happy move! Moving 4 bags/containers is a breeze compared to your previous moves, right, Blaine? I know you will love setting up your nest, Kate. Wish I could be there! Hugs and kisses! Mama Broome

Wendy Frady said...

I am so excited and hope you get all settled in to your new home safe and sound! You will have fun making it yours! I'm so glad you're happy at your job-you've got to be the best nurse in all of New Zealand! And the prettiest one, too! Love you both! Wendy

Paige DeAngelo said...

I kicked your butt at phase 10.

Anonymous said...

Well, we're all here for labor day celebration - 14 of us and everyone is looking at your pictures.
Sorry you missed steaks, chicken, salad, baked potatoes, stuffed eggs, corn on cob,green beans and "sissy tea"-homemake strawberry ice cream for dessert.

Anonymous said...

Blaine and Kate, We are trying to find a way to plan a mission trip to New Zealand, someone must need help on those slopes! I am so happy for you both and your adventures to come! Your mom will keep us posted. Sally & Madeline Porter

Anonymous said...

We saw the MSU/South Carolina game in person and it wasn't any better on this side of the globe. We plan to go to the Auburn game this Saturday and we anticipate that it will be even worse. Over the years, however, we have learned that sometimes the outcome is a surprise victory and we don't want to miss it if it happens!!!

Anonymous said...

Kate,
Phase 10 is the worst game on the planet. I hope that you did a better job of explaining the game than when we tried to play. Good luck with you move.

Blaine,
You missed out this weekend. I went to the game Thursday. Steve and I hung out Saturday.

Anonymous said...

i don't recommend waking up for the auburn game. my wife has received the instructions about her university and will cease further comments. (note: msu won egg bowl last year 35-14). have fun with the move and good luck finding someone with a pickup truck. you should buy a motorcycle instead of a car.

Anonymous said...

We all know how much control Ben has over me...Hotty Toddy!

Anonymous said...

webmaster: meri now banned from website

Anonymous said...

GO OLE MISS!!

Sarah Dean said...

Kate and Blaine,
Hey! It's Sarah (Courtney's cousin). I am so glad y'all are doing well. I get regular updates from Courtney, but I'm glad I can read for myself now! Good luck with the move. - Sarah

Anonymous said...

Nissan California… Nope, I have never heard of that one. I knew we made different types of cars in other countries, just didn't realize those cars would have American names. Must have been a sissy car, California!
Anyway, Elizabeth really appreciated your call today Blaine, it made her day. She will have her wisdom teeth taken out on Thursday and she's kind of worried. Hmm, "wisdom" teeth being removed... is that a good thing? Have fun during the move.

Anonymous said...

Nissan California… Nope, I have never heard of that one. I knew we made different types of cars in other countries, just didn't realize those cars would have American names. Must have been a sissy car, California!

Have fun during the move.